Am I running my life or is it running me? Join me as I explore ways to keep life simple in our busy modern world.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Decluttering - Being Mindful

On any given day, I'm tracking not only my own activity, but that of a baby and a toddler as well. My mind is constantly busy trying to think for three people. Throw in worrying about what I have to get done around the house, a bit of stressing about how tired and stressed I am, and it doesn't take much for me to feel like I'm close to meltdown!

I've found practicing mindfulness helps.

Mindfulness is a buddhist technique that involves focusing only on the sensations of the present moment - being aware of what we are experiencing as it happens. Sarah Naphtali, author of 'Buddhism for Mothers' defines it as "knowing what's happening at the time it's happening" rather than running through the day on auto pilot.

It gets rid of the mental clutter that doesn't affect the present. So much of my stress is self generated - worrying about what I should be doing, or would  like to be doing, instead of what I actually am doing.

Mindfulness slows me down, calms me down, and increases my appreciation for the small moments that fill each day.

Here are some ways to give it a try (taken from Sarah Naphtali's book):
  • When you do your housework, notice every detail of the task.
  • When you eat, be conscious of the movements of your hands, the taste of the food, the sensations of swallowing and digesting, the feel of the food in your stomach.
  • When you wait, in a bank queue or at the supermarket, pay attention to all the sensations of your body. Do you need to relax tense muscles, correct your posture or soften your face?
  • Wherever you are, take in your surroundings. Challenge yourself to notice a new detail about your neighbourhood every day.
  • Take every opportunity to focus on your breathing to rest your mind.
  • Seek opportunities for silence and stillness. Turn off the TV!

And my own suggestion - try to only do one thing at a time. Multitasking is a way of life for many of us, but it can be exhausting. And unproductive!

Being Christian, I'm wary of adopting philosophies from other faith systems. There's plenty about buddhism that I disagree with. But mindfulness helps me trust God - handing over my worries and concerns to Him instead of letting them take over my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment